1 onion: 16p
2 cloves of garlic: 30p
1 pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional): 85p
3 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes: 93p
Dried mixed herbs (or any herbs you have): 70p
Salt and pepper
500g uncooked pasta: 30p
2 x 180g tins of tuna: £1.30
150g cheese (optional): £2.00
Total cost: £7.69
Cost per person: £1.28
1. If making tuna pasta BAKE, preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6.
2. Peel and chop the onion and garlic.
3. Place a large pan over a medium-high heat.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of oil, the onion, garlic and chilli flakes (if using) and fry for 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
5. Turn the heat up to high and pour in the chopped tomatoes.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, place a large pan of water on to boil. Once boiling, add salt and pasta. Cook according to the packet instructions, draining when done.
8. Drain the tuna and mix into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper (to taste).
9. Add pasta into the sauce and mix well.
10. If baking, transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.
11. Add grated cheese over the pasta (optional).
12. Place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.